Wednesday, July 06, 2005

 

"burn this book!", he says

I've fallen into backtracking again, with all the excitements of Jolene returning home from Sweden, visa-application, SEP study plan approval, flights planning, A Very Special Walk 2005 planning..

But oh yes, Jo has been back since Monday! Simply amazing, but it has been two days and I'm starting to feel that she has never left at all! Sounds like what Xiaotian told me when he came back from US for the hols too, that it seemed that he has never left. Oh well, life in Singapore can be pretty stagnant i guess =p changes occur constantly, in its visible and intangible forms, but being able to catch up within short periods, is simply the magic of true bonding.

~~~~~

I take back my word about life being stagnant. haha. there's Neil Gaiman! And there's IOC! (conveniently suspicious, these two events, as qiongz would probably have told you if you met her, especially now that we know London got it)

But seriously, British humour never fails to crack my day. Neil Gaiman rocks! (and coming from a rookie fan, you got to believe me) For the details, refer to qiongz's entry. I think she remembers more about what Gaiman says than what her textbooks writes. I'm not so good with details, so I'll just comment shortly. He's good looking (Charissa says gorgeous.. and well.. I would use cute and gorgeous on him in his younger days.. guess what British booze did to him), and more importantly, intellectually funny. His references cracked me up, and made me forget about the screwed up flooding (in cineleisure, imagine that! the air-con broke down i think) and the try-to-act-important-but-very-irritating-till-the-point-that-Charissa-and-qiongz-want-to-beat-him-up host called Han Shih (if i even remember his name, you know either something is terribly right about him... or terribly wrong.)

So anyway, back to the star of the show. Gaiman, yes, fantastic. Check out mirrormask. No Tom Cruise or Julia Roberts, but I'm pretty sure it'll be worth a watch. for the funny bits of his talk, you can again refer to qiongz entry since I don't think I can do any better *laughs*

And then he signs books! Like his life depended on it. seriously, he has to be armed with all sorts of different pens for different types of books (comics, to novels to graphic novels). And i brought along American Gods and Good Omens, both fantastic books I assure you. Charissa had some problems choosing her comics, wondering if it will ruin firstly the art, and secondly the value by including her name =p And pics of the signing coming up now! Starting from the most hardcore fan amongst the three of us... to the rookie me!



For American Gods, he wrote "Believe!" and for Good Omens, he wrote "Burn this book!" in great hilarious fashion.. now leaving Terry Pratchett to give it the final punchline.



"Oh the match!" I commented
he looked up and me, slightly shocked.
"You're the first person to have ever said that to me", he said, with that charming smile.

but the nicest was still the star he did in qiongz's book.. darn =p

After the whole thing ended, Charissa and I picked up a copy of Stardust. Gosh, I must have somehow got influenced by Charissa's (almost disgusting =p) amazing spending mentality. I think I'll go broke on Sandman. =p

We also bummed into Promoter Toh Shi Ling along the way, rather unfortunately, and I had to make her talk to my hand. *grin* haha. Before we finally realised that the three of us haven't taken a pic together!


~~~~~

Monday dinner was dedicated to Jolene, so we had good old hawker fare. Singapore food is a delight!

~~~~~

Tuesday saw me going to school to do all the SEP stuff. And it was somewhat serene when I visited the archery range at noon, to find ZT, ZC, HT, Imy and CK shooting. Serene because I did not have my bow there, and I can really just squat there and watch. I won't deny that my hands were itching to hold the bow and shoot, but I know that I would have to reconsider priorities then. Just for the week or two. And I know, letting it all go isn't simple. As much as I want it to be simple.

it's often sad how all these good memories would have to be tarnished by a few bad ones.

~~~~~

I have also, a bad habit for screwing up my life. One of those strange ways of stiring it up when everything was going just fine.

Silly stuff.
sometimes when you stick your oar into the water to find out how deep it is
you forgot that the sand that has settled will rise again.



|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?