Monday, July 25, 2005

 

courage to blog

Of late, I have been awfully attached to my computer, and reading the so-called famous blogs around the web.

It has given me new courage, and new insights of course, almost like discovering another world out there. A world that dares to speak up more, a world that sometimes, image of uprighteousness is pushed out of top priority. And also a world of pure exaggeration.

Some write in all anonymity, borrowing the courage of a new persona, and deliver their stories, sometime more truthful than those who write with their names, who found that it may pay to be more politically correct and happier than to be controversial.

Some write for self-gratification. To be seen, read and commented on. To be praised and to see replies. To fulfill the greatness that Man desired so much, but unable to realise in real life.

Some write. To write.

To some, blogging is their life. And this I found amusing, but understandable. Almost like an King at the peak of his power, followers like a cult, that unseen influence and following is attractive. Who could resist the temptation of having people worship the blog you write on? Following the hacker incident into Xiaxue's blog, I could not comprehend why she is given a freaking half a page on the Straits Times (and she complains that if not for the London bombings, she would have gotten front page. Good Grief). Ok, I mean, yeah, hacking is bad, because it implicates all sorts of privacy stuff that you and I are so concerned about.

As much as I'm not a fan of her blog (sometimes amused, sometimes annoyed), I think she has courage, and lack of tact, and a large following. Plus good photoshop skills. Damn. But yeah, she has the right to be furious about being hacked into. It's awfully childish to delete someone's blog just because you can't stand what he/ she says.

You know what they say about freedom of speech.

"Freedom of speech means you have the right to remain silent"

Oh whatever *laughs*

~~~~~

Other blogs that I've been reading on recently. You know, I'm highly amused that even with blogs, there are ranking sites such as Hottest Blogs and Singapore Weblog Topsites. Like woah. Singaporeans have a serious lack of entertainment. I admit, me too. Damn.

Mr Brown - The famous Singapore blogger. Something lesser than a ST Interactive (but free!) Worth a read if you are interested in the dysfunctional Singapore.

Mr Miyagi - I start to wonder if people who write well add hokkien into their blog to make it more Singaporean-like, or it is that the hokkien makes it so much more readable to us. *laughs* I think I shall add some in my entries, and maybe more people will read it. Nah, I'll probably fail, as Michael told me last night, "you can't. Vulgarities are my perogative".

In the spirit of army days, KNNBCCB!!!

*waits for the gasp*

No point hiding. I was a hot-headed infantry officer who would not mind charging up the hill with my trusty M16 kicking a few make-believe enemies' asses, and when my noise-making, soot-creating bullets ran out, shouting "Bang Bang!" would kill my enemies too. Swearing gives you strength to be the man you never was. Sometimes. even for that little while. what's wrong with believing in a lie? for that little while.

Talk Rock - Since we are onto vulgarities already, Rockson is good at it. Read his entry on the NKF case. Those ok with the crude lingo will have a good laugh, and the more civilised, probably disgusted. I had a good laugh, so you have figured out which category I belonged to, no worries, I'm no hypocritic. First time I've seen a blog entry clock 853 comments (and counting).

Big F**K - Since we're at it, more mega-ego writers like this fella. This AhBeng-ism is getting to me. It's becoming more of a trend (for increasing popularity) than a societal problem. I suspect people like him write like this to make a statement and not truly a reflection of who they are.

I also suspect that the gahmen runs checks on the internet for the word "gahmen" to see who writes bad things about the gahmen. Gosh. That's 3 "gahmen"s in a statement. ok. make it 4. I've officially made it easier for myself to be hunted and called up for reservist.

But in all seriousness, I have always been supportive of the Government. We have owned them lots for all the stability and prosperity that we have taken for granted. How far should liberal measures go? If it were at the expense of stability? *shrugs* beats me. Life is fine, albeit boring and predictable.. but fine.

Sarong Party Girl - time to indulge a little into the little known sex scene of Singapore. Not truly, but more of the lives of models and the independents. When you start to wonder what those models on the papers do. Surely not 8-to-6 deskjobs, nor kitchen-scrubbing housewives. Then what?

Sash - "Sexual Mischief & Misadventures Of A Not-so-Sterile Singaporean", oh yeah, stories you heard of only via word of mouth. Why not read them? To be honest, I was a little skeptical of this, but it's simply amazing. The emotions more so than the sex.

Many more I have browsed actually, on this lazy monday afternoon. This WWW is amazing, and you just keep linking and linking and linking, read and read and read. Viola, I've just spent 2 hours blogging and reading and listening to music.

All while Jo is busy bidding for modules. And freshmen staring at awe at their new NUS Matriculation Cards. *laughs*

~~~~~

It actually feels good, to just write and write, as if I'm talking to this damn machine.

Bloggers all go through this phrase of wanting to end their blogs. Because they can no longer face up to their conscience with their writings, because it reaches a point when you can't be totally honest anymore. Because of your image, and because of some relationships. Because when you cared too much about what others think, you stifle your own freedom. Because you get tired from thinking too much on what others think or not think.

If I was to end this blog, you can be sure I'll start another one with an anonymous name.

We were born free and unjudged. A new persona, a new life would mean no past prejudices and no future condemnations to tie me to the conventions of blog-writing. If there was any to start with.



|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?