Wednesday, August 10, 2005

 

not just any Tom, Dick and Harry

It's exhausting writing deep stuff, takes a lot out of me, so occassionally I do post silly stuff.

But this, oh-my-goodness, this, is not meant for any Tom, Dick and Harry, mind you.

*serious look*

Statistics have shown, indeed, that the phrase "any Tom, Dick and Harry" has proved to be quite detrimental to the three names. My charts will show later on, the proof.

With thanks to Mr Brown (whom I found the link from), you can check out this website called NameVoyager. Type in your name and see how popular (or unpopular) it was over the decades.

I understand that Huiting is looking for a English name. Well, nice place to start!

Anyway, back to topic.

As we can see, "Tom" as fallen sharply over the decades. It was the 46th most favourite name in the 1880s, but in 2004, it's not even in the top 1000.
Now when I think of Tom, I only remember Tom and Jerry the cartoon. And everyone loves Jerry, of course.








"Dick" was really popular in the 1930s. About 500 out of every million babies were "Dick"s. Interesting. But by the 70s, it was out of trend.












"Harry" showed the most obvious decline in relative terms. But yet, in absolute numbers, it is still by far the most favourite of all three, still ranking 531 in 2004 with about 100 in every million babies with that name. Obviously parents didn't mind "Harry" kids.








Now that I looked back, I only knew 1 Dick and 1 Harry. And somehow both insists that they be called by their Chinese names *shrugs*

I also did a check on "Britney" and "Angelina", and it's amazing to discover that "Britney" is really a 1990s sensation and the way "Angelina" shoots up in favour in the last decade will shock you. Talk about idol worship.

If I name my son "Tom", albeit out of date, will he look like Tom Cruise?

Enough rubbish. Try it now!


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?