Monday, October 31, 2005

 

Exploring the OC

Being on SEP means that I'm usually a part time student, part time traveller. And very much in line with Singapore's policy of a 5-day work week, I study on weekdays and go out on weekends.
Since I'm no hardcore party-goer, most of my "going out"s on weekends meant taking the bus (or car if my roommates wanna go too) and going around Orange County. I guess I shall write minimun on the places because that will positively bore anyone to death, and post pictures when available.

But observing life is so interesting sometimes. Being in Irvine meant I see relatively richer people of Southern California, with VERY nice houses, cars and even shopping strip malls. Taking the bus out of Irvine sort of exposed me to the result of urban sprawl. That as you get away from the rich place, you start to see proper normal neighourhoods. Buildings are more run-down, and things are visibly cheaper. And supermarkets get more interesting too (oh I love Asian-based supermarkets so much!). And of course, you start to see less whites and more Mexicans and Asians. It's just so amazing how the population is sort of "accidentally" divided by ethnicity, and in such a diverse place like Southern California, the divide is even more obvious.

Enough blabbering. Here goes.

~~~~~

Fashion Island

As its name probably suggest, it is a very nice shopping mall. Shopping malls in US are kinda different from Singapore. Because of the amount of land space they have, they don't really build upwards, so the malls are just around double-storey, and very spacious.

Americans just spend a lot. Great consumerism culture here, and they buy a lot of stuff. And it's unthinkable that a shop doesn't accept credit cards; even the roadside vendors accept Mastercard or Visa. It's just scary to see all these cashless cash flowing all around you.

Plus Fashion is where the richer people hang out. Great for window shopping, but then again, I wasn't so interested in shopping. It was just a look see into the weekend lives of the Americans.


Being a good scout, I was immensely surprised to see that Irvine held the Jamboree in July 1953.

Ok, I suspect you ain't interest to hear more from this blabbering scout. *laughs*








~~~~~

Little Saigon

Image hosted by Photobucket.comThere's a huge Vietnamese population here in OC. And the Little Siagon in Westminister is the first of the "Little Saigon"s around the US, so I got to pay it a visit and have some yummy Vietnamese food!

Little Saigon is along a Bolsa Ave, a long road where you find everything Vietnamese, be it shops, signs, people. I think I look Vietnamese, because cashiers start talking to me in Vietnamese in the supermarkets (oh yes Asian stuff!!!!) and they changed to English when I replied in English. haha. Oh well. All Asians =)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Lunch!
~~~~~

South Coast Plaza

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Another huge shopping mall...

~~~~~

Orange County Performing Arts Center

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Check out its Vitual Tour on its website! Good stuff!

~~~~~

Newport Ecological Reserve

This looks a bit out of place. haha, nothing happening, but just serene. With views like that,how can anyone be tired during jogging?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

~~~~~

Wal-mart

Image hosted by Photobucket.comHeard so much about the great Walmart, and so I guess I have to pay one a visit and see what it's really like!

And perhaps cheap is the word (don't we all already know and heard about), but somehow, it fails in comparsion to other supermarkets/ hypermarts that I've been to, cos I guess it looks a bit more run-down and it's usually the place where the not so well-off people go to do their shopping. And the difference is quite dramatic, the staff are nice, but looks-wise, do not look as well-off as those in other supermakets.

To make my trip more worth while, I bought some stuff from Walmart too.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Our most missed Fast Food chain.
Surprisingly, not many Americans know about them too.
I think it belonged to a different generation.
Oh no, we're getting old.

~~~~~

Irvine Spectrum

Another pretty shopping center. It has a website too! But this one has a ferris wheel to itself. Woohoo.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Edwards Cinemas (which is the biggest branch in US, like our GV).
This has 21 theatres inside! Plus an IMAX.

My roomates and I went to the cinema in Irvine Spectrum to catch a show before Halloween. We watched Saw II and Weatherman. We sort of cheated, because we bought 1 ticket and went for 2 shows. Well, my roommate says everyone does it here, as the ticket doesn't have seating allocation, and theatres are never full.

~~~~~

Knott's Berry Farm

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Snoopy's Headquarter! For Halloween, it was themed "Knott's Scary Farm" so I thought it would be good to visit it for this once in a year timing!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Albeit too old for rides, I enjoyed people watching.

The area around there is also pretty cool, with Wax Museum and Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum. But the queues were so freaking long that I didn't go in. The admission was only for $5 because the museums are closing by the end of October, thus the long queue.

~~~~~

As Jamie Reeves wrote on my Econs "S" paper once.

A "tour de force"



|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?