Saturday, November 12, 2005

 

Veteran's Day

Quote by Pat Nixon - wife of Richard Nixon





"Even when people can't speak your language,
They can tell if you have love in your heart."
- Patricia Ryan Nixon






Veteran's Day is on a Friday this year, and to most college students, it is probably just another holiday. I know I would think so too, if I've been here all my life.

But since I haven't, I've been planning the trip to Richard Nixon's Library and Birthplace on this day for some time. Not only is admission free (that's besides the point), there will be a General from Camp Pendleton speaking to commerate the day and also a mini orchestra performance in the museum on that day.

And I did something no college student in the right mind will do: wake up really early to catch a 2-hr bus ride to Yorba Linda (where the Library and Birthplace is) in time for the speech by the General at 10am.

Initially, I too thought that it would be a not-so-exciting visit, but just something to do and a place to visit for the day. But I guess I turned out to be wrong, because I really enjoyed the exhibits in the museums, the rose garden and the lovely house, which is the birthplace of Nixon.

Birthplace of Richard Nixon
And Richard Nixon said proudly,
"I lived in the house my father built."

I even felt both the patrotic and heart wrenching moments, as I witness the exhibits on the Vietnam war and the tense political situation at that time. And at the same time, felt the pride as I witness the astronauts landing on the moon, and committing to memory the THREE astronauts involved in the mission. Even wamed my heart, as I read about the life of Patricia Ryan Nixon, wife of President Nixon, and the quote I place above.


The Pond of Reflection in the Rose Garden

I love the Rose Garden and the Pond of Reflection, set in the tranquil surroundings, so free from anxiety. And even the orchestra performance at 2pm in the Pat Nixon Amphitheater.

Even I couldn't believe that I spent like 4 hours there.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?