Monday, August 29, 2005

 

California Fitness

I'm so sorry but this is a digression from the event-by-event account of my trip. Due to limited connectivity and time, and also because there's so much to write, I'll postpone my writings later.

Today is the 4th morning that I've been awakened by the georgeous Californian sun. And it seems that I've been doing not much "tourist-y" sightseeing, but enoying the local atmosphere and life. Hanging out with the Singaporeans here, and exercising!

~~~~~

On Friday, with an almost sudden urge, Xiaotian brought me jogging along Berkeley Marina. I was almost freezing in my singlet and shorts but the run was great, because the view was great and because you can't really sweat in this weather. We ran about 2.4 km before we gave up while Siswi continued her amazing marathon training. Damn, 2 weak guys. haha. But I couldn't really stand the cold air rushing into my lungs as I run, so I was actually wheezing a bit, but it's a fantastic run which I intend to continue doing whilst in school.

Enough talk. Time for some pictures. Of scenery, and kites. A pity you can't feel the wind, the sun and the cold.







Where we ran, view of area from on top of a small mound.










Xiaotian walking down the slope to the other side of the mound. Smartly so, since it is less windy and thus less cold.










Later in the day, we went to play frisbee with the Berkeley Singaporean students at UC Berkeley. Playing sports rock because you don't feel yourself sweating. The sun sets really late too, because it's still the end of summer (though I'm told the change in seasons in Cali is not really noticeable.







Haoren stoning after frisbee





~~~~~

On Saturday, we went white water rafting on the Southern Fork of American River (SFA), difficulty class 3 (1 to 5). It was great fun! And the scenery between the valleys was beautiful, with sparse trees lining the khaki coloured dried grass hills. As Fall approaches, the trees were changing to shades of orange, a lovely sight. It's no wonder my favourite season is Autumn. A pity cameras were not allowed on the trip as we swish and swash down the SFA in our 6 man (plus 1 guide) boat, making wicked turns around rocks and swirling in the rapids. XT was thrown in almost immediately at the first spin spot where he lost his glasses and spoilt his watch's catch (later repaired). I was thrown in somewhere near the lunch point, and I felt the cold water hitting me more actuely than the usual splashing onto us as we rushed into the rapids. Fortinately I was pulled out almost immediately whilst XT had to be rescued by another boat. Which makes the only 2 casualty of the boat since we're rowing in front.

Lunch was simple but great. It's amazing how simple Americans' lunches are. 2 pieces of bread, some ham, veg and sauce. Settled. As we travel further dowstream, the sun makes the calmer waters shimmering glimmer that I was pretty awed by the whole sight. The cloudless sky meeting the Fall-approacing hilly peaks, down to the clear water in the sun, plus the warm sun and cool air, but almost freezing waters. haha.



Driving northeast to the campsite, Camp Lotus. Bright and early, left the house at 6am.








Packing up the raft, at around 3pm





We fell asleep almost immediately upon reaching home.

~~~~~

On Sunday evening 5 plus, we met for tennis! Crazy us, but it was a before-school-starts thing for the Berkeley people, but ermm.. I don't suspect this will end when school begins for them? haha. We played till the sun sets and the cold wind blows, when everyone was rosy-cheeked and tired out. I'm not especially good at tennis, but it's picking up, I guess. =)



Haoren and Xiaotian playing tennis while the sun sets beautifully behind.





I know, you're thinking this doesn't even remotely sound like SEP. It's because you misunderstood what SEP stands for.

You see, SEP = Student Exercise Program.



|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?