Sunday, September 04, 2005

 

A Wolverine Birthday


"The best thing that a friend can do for another when he is overseas
is to make him feel at home."
- Dirong

~~~~~

A Poem just for me

"heaven holds eternity
transcending the quicksands of time
it is where each star is known by name
and there- we will smile we will sparkle and we will shine
in ways that our wildest dreams can never quite capture..."

Thanks Desiree =)

~~~~~

Memories, of the day in years gone by

I woke up in the cold of the morning, and read the cards that my friends have prepared for me (you know who you guys are *smile*), enjoying the temporary illusion, but feeling the real warmth of home halfway around the globe.

The time zone too, meant that I received sms wishes 12 hours beforehand. Yet by the cradle of my birth, my heart beats to the time of Singapore, and I am all 23.

Being abroad somehow broke the monotony of birthdays, and made it just that little tinge more unique. Of birthday memories, I do not have many to remember by. When I was 12, I celebrated mine on the plane to Australia with my family, with a candle lit on a slice of chocolate cake (which I'm sure was actually dessert) prepared by the air-stewardess. Of 17, when I had to carry this huge box filled with foam around RJ as prepared by 4C gang. Of 19, when I was finally done chiong-ing up the silly hills of Singapore in my greens and camouflage during a Platoon-attack exercise (one of the worst exercise ever), LTA Quek popped by my room and wished me a happy birthday, abrupt but plesantly surprising. Of 20, when my Wing Commander had allowed me to go home for the afternoon, only to be given an urgent call by the Deputy Commander (Army) LTC Kwek of OCS to head back to office for some last minute stuff, and thus having to abandon my brthday plans wih my family.

No parties, no chalets, no crowds. For the warmest of all warmth, lies in the simplicity of being with the closest of family and friends, and spending the day in self-contentment, of not rushing around hosting events, trying to tirelessly entertain or other facades. But just spending the day knowing in my own heart that it is special to me, and treating myself to the little treats of enjoying that in my own world.

Of 23, is a bit more special. And I was not spared the awkardness of having to deal with people, some close but mostly often not, crowding around and giving their wishes.

The Day actually started with a beer with Dirong the night before in Ann Arbor. Deep into the night we chatted.


~~~~~

Being a Wolverine

The next morning was actually a crazy one, as I dressed myself up in a new shirt especially bought for the day's event. A blue-and-maize Michigan Wolverine shirt, all ready for the first College Football match of the season, and my first live (probably only) football match of my life.

And I was a Wolverine for a day.

We first went for Maize Craze with Ben and Uema (hopefully I got his name right), which is an annual event held by the University of Michigan, something like a festival, with booths and free food. The crowd was great and the sun was so georgeous, that we sit on the carpet-like grass and had our food and drinks.

3 hours before the big game, and the Americans have started celebrating. 12 noon, but you find the houses along the way to the stadium filled with parties. Students drinking and josting, cheers and noise (depending on you) fill the skies. All the excitement and hype, as we walked towards the Big House (the football stadium). Families come from afar, in their vans and started bbq-ing along the roads after they parked. It is not just a college event, but almost a state one. The support and fans were crazy, and there was no one on the streets who was not going to the game. Tickets could be sold for at least 4 times the usual price, carpark spaces are going at 20 bucks by the fraternity houses, cars with windows winded down was driving around and cheering. Footballs were being thrown around as the army of blue and maize marched along the streets.

The atmosphere, inside and ouside the stadium, pardon my Americanizaton, was AWESOME!

Feeling all Wolverine, I cheered along with the crowd, even though, honestly, I found the game a bit boring and slow (the flow wasn't smooth). But the audience was breath-taking, seriously, as they cheered on their 99-men strong team. For the moment, you can't but feel loyal to your school. It is the spirit.

GO BLUE!

~~~~~

On Yogurt Ice-cream cake

To be honest, I was not prepared for the mini celebrations that was to come. Never a crowd-person, I found myself slightly awkward, even when I do know about half the people (qiongz thinks thats scary) surrounding me as I cut the birthday cake (which was supposed to be "yogurt" but turned out to be "ice-cream") that Dirong has cunningly bought.

I was touched, to say the least, and maybe slightly embarrassed, as I sat in front of my cake, surrounded by Singaporeans in Michigan, singing that inevitable birthday song.

The cake and its buyer

Thanks Dirong =)



|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?