Friday, November 18, 2005

 

"you chew gum, you go to jail. bad boy"

I originally titled this entry "the US-Singapore paradigm" but I thought that sounded too serious and more like a Political Science Essay title than a blog entry. So I guess a modified Russell Peters' quote will sit in more comfortably with the general audience.

I always think it is interesting to find out what people in general think about Singapore (assuming they have heard of us) and what stereotypes they have of Singaporeans. We've seen ourselves so much, that now I wish to see us from a foreigner's eyes.

The good news is that about 8 out of 10 people would have heard of Singapore, because we are "one of the most developed nations in Asia". But yet beyond that, they do not remember our first-class airport or ports, nor our cleanliness or humid weather. And so far, 4 out of 5 first comments are usually "oh, is that where they put you to jail if you chew gum?". It started with an old lady I was chatting with at Balboa Beach, and I soon find myself laughing at the comments whenever people mentioned it and remarking that it's a funny thing to be remembered by.

"Because people tend to remember the funny stuff better." The old lady replied. So simple, so true.

So what happened with the other 2 out of 10 people?

1 will wink and me and go "ah, it's a 'fine' city isn't it?".

The last 1 will have no clue, probably assuming it's part of China. He even asked me which city I come from in Singapore, hoping that a famous city-sounding name might rack his memory on the country Singapore. I hated to tell him that whenever I fill up any forms, the blanks for "Country", "State", "City" are always filled up by "Singapore".

But interestingly, hearing about Singapore has no corelations with knowing where we are geographically. I even used Goggle Earth once, to show my roommates. Most will probably nod and say "in Asia right?" and one even said "Malaya" (which really impressed me, despite it telling me how old he is). It was fortunate that no one thus far embarrassed themselves by saying if it's in China.

~~~~~

Speaking of China, I overheard this conversation once while having lunch. And decided to right some wrongs (which I can easily wrong some rights as well).

We have so frequently called these people ABCs - American Born Chinese. And come to think of it, it got stuck to them even by themselves because it has become so widespread. But frankly, now that the world has become more diverse, and that so many generations have gone by, people are identifying themselves by their origin nation. Where nationality and race/ ethnicity clashes.

They are now American Born Koreans, or Vietnamese, or Hongkongers (I still have no idea what they call themselves), or Japanese, even Thais. They do not identify themselves as Chinese anymore, because "Chinese" now probably means people from China. It worked in the past, when it's less globalised. Because in order to save the hassle of explaining where Korea is for example, Asians just said "Chinese".

And so, a new generation of ABA (American Born Asians) have emerged.

Or hey. how about ABBA? Asians Born and Bred in America? For the sake of cool sounding phrases so loved by Singaporeans (with our PIE, BKE, SLEs and what not)

(NB: I bear no disclaimer because this phrase is created by me for the sake of this blog)

~~~~~

My mind is working faster as I blogged, remembering stuff I really shouldn't be.

On the issue of not knowing us by our Changi Airport, I decided to check out the World's Best Airport Rankings. And well, to those who don't know yet, Hong Kong International Airport has overtaken us for a few years, leaving us with a silver award.

In pure amusement, I remarked that there are no American airports anywhere on the top 10 list, nor any airlines. The best US airport was ranked at 20.

"Well, we can't be the best at everything, which we already are with the rest" he called out indignantly. Not jokingly, nor casually, but indignantly, almost in self-righteous denial as he turns back to his work and ignoring the other 2 of us.

Now that kinda puts me off. Hello?!?!



|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?