Thursday, February 02, 2006

 

bless you

The guy beside me in lecture sneezed today, and I uttered "Bless you." Almost subconsciously.

But rather awkwardly. Strangely.
Considering it almost became second nature to me in US, it feels so strange now.
Like I just did some out-of-local-custom stuff then.

He half-stared at me, probably not sure how to respond. I don't really blame him; we're not used to this after all.

Almost as if to make up for the awkward silence, he sneezed again.

A struggle between saving him the embarrassment of not knowing what to do and being gracious emerged, and I decided to pay more attention to my notes instead. He seems happier that way.

~~~~~

When we sneeze, our heart stops for that fraction of a second. And we could be dead.

So when people say "bless you" to us when we sneeze, we should not be too surprised and not look like goon-du, struggling to find a response.
Smile, and say "thank you."

How else easier, in a move towards a more gracious society?



|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?