Sunday, November 27, 2005

 

L.A.Beverly.Hollywood. *gasp*

The City of Entertainment! Of magic, dreams and imagination. Of movies and shopping and music. Of stars and fame and everything glittering.

In my opinion, don't hype it up so much, and it can be true.

So on the most misty of all mornings during this long 4-day Thanksgiving weekend, I made a trip down to the city that supposedly has it all.

ALMOST all, but someone forgot to mention the dirty downtown, the many homeless straying on the streets, the weird people walking around and the not-so-nice districts.

~~~~~


Los Angeles Union Station
I took a 1-hr train and arrived at the LA Union Station.
It's a pretty sight!

View of the City

After walking through the famous Mexican Olvera Street (but it was too early and not many visitors yet, so I visited the street with all its stores and gay colours again before going back to school), I walked around Downtown LA, checking out the Music Center and what not...

Walt Disney Concert Hall
Then I arrived at the Walt Disney Concert Hall!
It's a pretty neat structure glimmering in the sun!

On I walked,
checking out the City Hall (which supposedly appeared in more movies than any movie star),
and Chinatown, the cool
Westin Bonaventure Hotel,
the shortest rail called
"Angel's Flight"
and looking at the city sights...
and came to Little Toyko

Little Toyko
A little piece of a Toyko Garden in the heart of LA

I feel that the interesting thing about Downtown LA is how it is divided up into districts. Like there's this "Fashion District" and "Jewellery District" and "Toy District" and whatnot.. and yah, no need me to tell you what they sell huh. But it is not high-class stuff though, and the real people walking around these areas make the city

And on I went, to the Staples Center, home of the LA Lakers.
And then I visited the 2 famous universities in LA...

USC and UCLA
USC and UCL!
Where both their mascots are asleep *sulk* (under renovations)
Football and basketball matches between these 2 make fans drool!

I really think it's so interesting to have campus define a city or town. And that universities are actually a place to visit when you visit the area. Plus the fact that they really are so pretty. I took lots of fall photos in these 2 universities!

Onwards I go
to the rich estate of Beverly Hills (*sings* "thats where I wanna be!")

Beverly Hills
Nothing really great,
lots of high class shopping, fine dinings and expensive stuff
Did I mention mansions??
MANSIONS!!!! big, georgeous mansions.
where the stars live, all near here, in Beverly Hills and Bel-air.
But it's highly unlikely to spot any of them taking out the trash, so I didn't wait and see.
but the mansions are really really so luxurious looking
damn, the life of the rich and famous!

Onwards Hollywood!

Hollywood
The sign looks nicer from far and close up
Trust me
Plus it takes FOREVER to get anywhere close if you don't have a car
Trust me too.

Hollywood Blvd
And suddenly there I was, in the busy happening street of Hollywook Blvd
Where I walked up and down the street twice!
to look at the star-studded street
but I still cannot find John Lennon's star!!!

Star Studded Street

The street was alive with random performances, street artists, people dressing up as Spidery and Elmo and what not. Plus I visited the Kodak Theatre, home of the Academy Awards, and also the Grauman's Chinese Theatre, which I personally think look very cheesy, especially the font. Walking up and down the street is pretty interesting, cos I see all sort of weird people, from the punks to the families, and then all the sex shops and what not. Oh well, Hollywood.

The night is still young!
And Universal Studios, I must visit!

Universal Studios
Interestingly, the place is still how I rememebered it from 7 years ago.
there's new rides
including a real-life Fear Factor show!!!

And then I went on to walk down the Universal Citywalk, which is really happening at night!
I think it was especially so because of the upcoming premier of King Kong!

I spent the night in this dodgy hostel, but it's cheap, so I can't complain. It has this 1 door and a staircase that leads up to the dorms. Oh well.

The next morning, bright and early,
After a "Continental" breakfast of bad coffee with equally bad toast
I continued on my exploration.

Paramount Pictures
and found Paramount Pictures Studios!!!!
Since there was no crowd nor fans screaming, I guess there's no star coming in today
The fans know better, I'm sure.

And then I walked and walked,
enjoying the cool breeze
and the famous sight of the LA freeways, those that stretches forever into the sun it seems
and the neat palm trees that lay the sides
and I arrived at The Farmer's Market

Farmer's Market
Selling Singapore crusine!!!
but it jas terrible business
plus no way I'm spending 6USD for a plate of Mee Goreng.

I'm pretty sure I came here before, and definitely going to search the USA photos when I get home! This place is SO familiar!

Had lunch at Chinatown (because I miss rice) and then took the train back to Irvine. My legs are pretty tired, plus I wanna get back early (exams coming) because it gets dark at like 4.30pm.



|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?